Sunday 16 October 2016

Damn those Aches and Pains

One of the most common symptoms of fibromyalgia is the all over aches and pains. Sometimes described as flu-like, these can strike at any time and make us feel ill, tired, depressed and generally fed up with the illness.

I usually start by getting the aches in my thighs. After a little while the pains move to my arms and then, the rest of my body.

The best thing I've found that helps a little is warmth. Depending on the time of year and the actual air temperature I try one or more of the following in my attempts to gain a little relief:

  • A hot water bottle - either cuddled for the perceived comfort or applied directly to the aching area.
  • Ensure that the house or room is warm either by lighting the fire or turning on the heating - depends on the time of year and the amount of fuel available!
  • Hot drinks - I prefer coffee but many people find teas, hot chocolate or hot milk. I prefer to keep away from alcohol as, although it provides quick relief, once the 'buzz' has gone, the aches and pains seem to return worse than before.
  • Appropriate clothing - Although I feel the heat more now than I ever did, I keep a jumper handy for the times I feel under the weather.
  • A cosy blanket - to use either while sitting on the sofa or as an extra cover in bed.

It doesn't matter what method you choose, as long as it has the desired effect.

I find that the aches and pains don't last too long once I'm warm and comfortable but unfortunately, they often precede the nerve pains that are so much more difficult to bear.

I have often mentioned this and I will say it again, good quality, restorative sleep is the most important thing we can do to help alleviate some of our awful symptoms.

Gentle hugs

Related Articles



No comments:

Post a Comment