Saturday 15 October 2016

Help! I Need Sleep

Feeling a bit better this morning. The anti-inflammatory gel is definitely helping. I haven't had to take any extra Ixprim as the pain is manageable - I can yawn now without gasping in pain as I do! - but I will keep on using the gel for a few more days.

Another problem I come across quite regularly is blurry eyes. This happens most when I am tired but sometimes it just comes on with no warning.

I had my eyes thoroughly checked and bought new glasses. The prescription hadn't changed much but my old glasses were so ancient and scratched that it was difficult to see through them! I thought this would make a big difference. In a way it did. I can now see properly again but when my eyes go blurry, no amount of polishing my perfect lenses makes any difference.

Sleep seems to help. Unfortunately, sleep is a thorny issue! I have little trouble falling asleep but I can't stay asleep. For the last month or so, I have been waking up five or six times a night. This means that by morning I feel tired and sometimes even shattered.

My doctor recommended a few things:
  • Keep to a regular routine - go to bed at the same time every night
  • Take the amytripteline early - I usually take it at 8.30pm so I don't have any "hangover" effect the next day.
  • Do not watch television in the bedroom as the bedroom should be for sleeping - I do not have a television in the bedroom and have never liked watching tv in bed (it reminds me too much of being in hospital!)
  • Do not eat or drink too late in the evening - I never have problems with this and consider myself lucky that I never have to get up in the night (even when I was pregnant, all those years ago!)
  • Reduce tea and coffee especially in the evenings - I can't drink tea - it makes my stomach bloat - and at home I don't drink strong coffee. I have cut down however, and I do find that this helps.
  • Do not look at the clock during the night - Actually, this made a big difference - I must remember to try this again starting tonight! - looking at the time makes us worry about the night slipping away while we're still awake and this anxiousness makes it even harder to get a good night's sleep.
When I am able to get proper sleep I notice quite a few benefits:
  • I am not so stiff in the morning.
  • My pain levels are reduced throughout the day.
  • I am better able to control my anxiety.
  • My eyes don't twitch or blur.
  • I don't feel exhausted when I wake up.
  • I am able to do things I used to take for granted - climb the stairs instead of crawling up them, brush my hair without my arms feeling like lead, take a shower and not have to lie down afterwards - I still have to be careful not to overdo it though.
  • My memory improves a little.
  • I don't feel so stressed and can think of solutions to problems rather than feeling overwhelmed by them.
Sleep is a great healer. If only we could find a way to get regular, good quality sleep, I am sure that we would feel the benefits.

Gentle hugs


Related Articles


No comments:

Post a Comment