Wednesday 19 October 2016

If it's not one thing ...

Well, most of the chest and back pain has gone now and the usual pain and stiffness isn't too bad so, now my hiatus hernia is playing up!

We are all used to pain all over and look forward to the occasional break from it (if we're lucky) but right now, I could really do without this.

I presume that the anti-inflammatory gel has sparked this - I haven't been able to take the tablets for years - as usual, the cure for one symptom often gives us more problems. I'll have to watch my diet for a week or two until it settles down and hopefully will avoid having to increase the Emazol.

Luckily, I have been through two oesophageal erosions and know what I have to do.
  • Relieve stress - Need to relax more
  • Avoid caffeine, tomatoes and most raw foods, alcohol and anything spicy - thankfully it's only for a few weeks! The last time it was for six months and that was a chore!
  • Sleep with my head raised up on a mountain of pillows - I still do this, just in case, as the acid reflux makes me cough and ruins my already poor attempts at sleep
  • No bending over - The last time even my voice box got badly burnt by the acid and I kept losing my voice, so not taking any chances
  • Eat small regular meals - Difficult as I don't get a chance to eat on the days I work so I'll have to work this one out
Here are my main pain triggers
  • Rushing around
  • Grabbing food on the go
  • Tomatoes, apples and anything spicy
  • Alcohol - I don't indulge much any more as it really is not worth the ill effects afterwards!
I'm open to any helpful suggestions so if you have a tip that works for you, leave a message in the comments!

Gentle hugs

Related Articles

No comments:

Post a Comment